How to Declare Dividends on efiling in South Africa?

Filed in SARS by on February 10, 2023 0 Comments

How to Declare Dividends on efiling in South Africa?

How to Declare Dividends on efiling in South Africa?

You will receive the shares listed on the South African exchange whether you own stock in a South African or overseas corporation. Once you get your dividend as a shareholder, you are subject to dividend tax. When declaring your dividends, there are some precautions you should take. Continue reading to find out how to file dividends via eFiling.

How Do I Declare Dividends on Efiling?

The appropriate withholding agent pays the tax dividend to SARS after withholding it. If you want to be eligible for lower rates or exemptions, they must give you the declaration and undertaking documents. Send the filled-out form to the withholding agent to request exemption.

When the system asks you which taxes you wish to register for once you register for eFiling, you must select Dividends Tax. The Dividends’ Tax Process mostly consists of two forms that you must complete. These documents comprise the DTR01 for declaring the dividend and the DTR02 for verifying your dividend.

If I Receive Dividends, Must I File a Tax Return?

You are required to file a tax return when you earn dividends. Cash distributions of earnings made by the firm and given to its shareholders are what make up dividends. Additionally, dividends may be paid out in the form of stock, stock options, real estate, debt repayment, or other services.

You will receive a Form 1099-DIV from financial institutions detailing the money you received in dividends during a certain tax year, along with any taxes that were withheld. Dividend payments can be made on a monthly, quarterly, or annual basis. You must pay taxes on your dividends when you file your tax return since they are taxable. The eFile tool assists you in entering your data and manages other challenging computations when you declare your dividends on your 2023 Tax Return.

Dividends generally fall into one of two categories, each of which is taxed differently. Ordinary dividends, which come from a certain corporation’s earnings, are among the most popular varieties. Common or preferred stock often pays ordinary dividends, which are subject to ordinary income tax. You will be required to pay taxes on your dividends at the standard income tax rate, which ranges from 10% to 37%, depending on your income.

The group of dividends that are subject to capital gains tax includes qualified dividends. These dividends are taxed at rates of 0%, 15%, or 20%, depending on your tax level. You must also obtain a schedule that details the number of taxable dividends from the sum you receive in dividends.

You must still record the dividend income when filing your tax return even if you receive dividends but receive no form. To keep everything up to date when you file your tax return, keep track of your dividends in a log or notebook. Your eFile software can assist you in tax preparation and will inquire about any dividends you have received so that you can correctly declare them.

To calculate the tax you should pay on your dividends, you can use utilize free tax preparation software. To ensure compliance, the tools will compute the tax deductions and report your dividends.



Where Should Dividends Be Declared?

Dividends Tax is withheld by the withholding agency from the dividend due to the owner and is then paid to SARS by the agent. The owner of the dividend is nonetheless liable and accountable for paying the dividend tax if the withholding agent fails to deduct it from the dividends. The only situation where you are exempt from paying tax is if the dividend involves the distribution of an asset in actual money. As a result, the corporation is responsible for paying the taxes. This indicates that the business will pay the dividend tax-free.

The tax should be withheld from dividend shareholders and paid to SARS by the withholding agent, who can be a regulated middleman or business. Prior to the final day of the month following the payment of the dividend, the payments must be made to SARS. The DTRo1 and DTR02 returns must be submitted with every Dividends Tax payment. For the late filing and payment of dividend tax returns, interest and penalties will be assessed.

The dividend owner must receive all necessary undertaking and declaration paperwork from the withholding agency in order to be eligible for exemptions or lower rates. However, only foreign residents are covered by this clause. To request an exemption or reduced rate, the dividend owner must give the withholding agent the properly filled out form. The majority of withholding agents often include the declaration paperwork in the procedure for opening an account. Any changes to the beneficial owner’s information must be communicated to the withholding agency.



How Do I File a DWT Online?

to eFiling to submit the DWT;


  • Your business should first be registered.
  • Select the type of company on the eFiling platform, then click “returns” and “Dividends Tax.”
  • Select the tax period from the selection list next to the “Request Return” button by selecting the “Submit New Return” tab.

If the DWT has already been submitted;


  • To make the required adjustments, click “Submitted Return.”
  • Then select “DWT Returns” from the “Request for Correction” menu. This tab can be found under “Filed Through eFiling.”
  • Your return will be updated and your information will be prepopulated.

You must produce the information needed for SARS’s eFiling system in order to pay any applicable Dividend Withholding Tax. The account number, dividend per share, number of shares, tax withheld, dividend value, and net amount tax data (if there are no exemptions) must all be included in your DWT file.

Visit the SARS website at for further information about DWT submission, or call the SARS Contact Center at 080000 (SARS) (7277). On work days, you can also go to your local SARS branch between the hours of 8:00 and 1700.

If you own shares in a publicly traded firm, you are qualified to receive dividends from the business’s earnings. Since dividend income is taxable, you must report it on your tax return. You can use eFiling to declare your dividends, and it will take care of everything.

About the Author ()

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Translate »